RRM Home School Program
Throughout the year, homeschooled students and their families are invited for educational classes and events at RRM. Bring your lunch and picnic on our park-like grounds. Each class is held 10:30am - 11:30am in our Education Building.
These special classes feature the following subjects:
January 12 Sound Energy
What is sound? Why do we hear the train whistle before we even see the train? Experiment with sound waves in this hands on class.
January 26 Telegraph
Travel back in time as we learn about the first news dispatched by electric telegraph. Build your own electromagnetic telegraph and send messages to each other.
February 9 Transcontinental Railroad
The 1860's were a time of turmoil for the US, but also time of one of the greatest engineering feats in American History construction of the Transcontinental Railroad. How much track can you lay in our version of the Ten Mile Day?
February 23 Time Zones
What time is it? Well, that depends on where you are! Learn about the different time zones of the US and the role trains had in bringing them about.
March 9 Harvey Girls
Learn about these women of the West who worked for Fred Harvey as he brought good food at reasonable prices in clean, elegant restaurants to train passengers.
March 23 Bridges
Identify different types of bridges and experiment with various structures to discover the strongest design type.
April 13 Isaac Newton
Trains are on a roll! All that mass has a LOT of energy. Learn about and experiment with Newton's 3 laws of motion.
April 27 Lego® Brick Racers
And they're off!! See whose brick racer has what it takes to win the checkered flag!
May 11 Acids or Bases?
What roll does chemistry have in everyday life? Predict if common household items are acids or bases.
May 25 Magnetism
Explore magnetic forces, define and draw magnetic fields. Registration Required!
Class size is limited to the first 15 paid participants ages 7-12 and their parent and classes tend to fill quickly!
Please review Class Policy & Procedures before registering for class.
- Online pre-registration required. Classes filled on a first-reserved, first-paid basis.
- Families receive one free adult/chaperone with each paid participant. Additional adults and children will need to pay regular admission if they plan to utilize the facilities or receive a tour.
- Refunds will not be given for no-shows.
- Class will start promptly at scheduled time. Students more than 10 minutes ate may not be permitted to enter class.
- Museum reserves the right to cancel classes that do not meet minimum enrollment requirements. (Full refund will be given.)
- Check in with museum staff in the main gallery upon arrival.